The second-oldest individual award presented by the NHL, the Hart Trophy has gone to the MVP of the NHL since the 1923-24 season.
It’s interesting to note that each of the last five winners of the award won it for the first time. In fact, 17 of the last 20 Hart Trophy winners were first-time winners.
The NHL season begins tonight! Who is your favorite for the Hart Trophy right now and why? #NHLTonight pic.twitter.com/G3KHLYuBzW
— NHL Network (@NHLNetwork) October 2, 2019
Some other Hart Trophy trends to keep in mind:
- Only one defenseman (Chris Pronger, 1999-2000 St. Louis Blues) has won the Hart since 1971-72
- Only one goaltender (Carey Price, 2014-15 Montreal Canadiens) has won the Hart since 2002-03
- Martin St. Louis (2003-04 Tampa Bay Lightning) was the last player to win the Hart and Stanley Cup in the same season
- Joe Thornton (2005-06 Boston Bruins/San Jose Sharks) is the only player to be traded and win the Hart in the same season
#NJDevils Taylor Hall is the first player to win the Hart Trophy with the team that didn't originally draft him since Joe Thornton in 2006.
— Sportsnet Stats (@SNstats) June 21, 2018
- Tommy Anderson (1941-42), Al Rollins (1953-54) and Jose Theodore (2001-02) are the only Hart Trophy winners eligible for induction to the Hockey Hall of Fame who are not enshrined in the Hall
- The Montreal Canadiens (16) have won the most Hart Trophies
- Though Frank Nighbor of the original Ottawa Senators won the first Hart Trophy in 1923-24, no member of the current edition of the Sens has won a Hart
Czech hockey legend Dominik Hasek, who captured the Vezina Trophy six times and the Hart Trophy twice, dropped the ceremonial first puck with countrymen @jachobe and David Kampf as participants. #NHLGlobalSeries pic.twitter.com/TaMMa9xXW6
— NHL Public Relations (@PR_NHL) October 4, 2019
- Ten other teams – the Arizona Coyotes, Calgary Flames, Carolina Hurricanes, Columbus Blue Jackets, Dallas Stars, Florida Panthers, Minnesota Wild, Nashville Predators, Vegas Golden Knights and Winnipeg Jets – have never produced a Hart Trophy winner
- The Toronto Maple Leafs have had just two Hart winners and none since 1954-55 (Teeder Kennedy